Wednesday 22 June 2011

Sunny Side Up

     You come through the doors to see a brightly coloured fish tank and balloons.  The attendants are cheerful and friendly.  They have Dora and Bob the builder.  There are cool animals on the walls.  They have Playstation and Wii.   The TV streams Disney's Cars on repeat!  There is a library and a toy play room.  There are wagons and riding cars.  There is endless ice cream.  There is a play therapist.  How much fun would that job be?!  All day long you get to help kids play in a colourful and bright environment. 
     I thought to myself that the pediatric ward would be a very fun place to work.
     It being a fairly small ward built in a circle, the parents of other children become familiar.   There was one mom walking around with a two year old.  She had been pacing the halls with her little one for a while.  Each time I saw her there was a more strained look on her face.   I overheard the nurse say "I understand you are upset but I'm sure there is a good reason why we can't give her anything to eat."  The poor mom was desperate and in tears.  The poor child was crying as her parents grouped around trying to distract her.   TV, look at the toys, let's go play.  She was too hungry and her mother's heart was at it breaking point.  I am a bit teary myself.   Mama Bear in me wants to take the child, feed her, and do something mean back to that mean nurse!! **   
     There is a newborn with a cast type bandage to keep the IV in it's tiny, tiny arm.
     There are children who don't understand what is happening and are hurting and scared. 
     Alarms went off and nurses went flying to the bedside of a six year old little doll of a girl who was choking.  Suctioning her mouth and cleaning her up,  the poor little thing hardly cared what they did to her.
     Oh, this must be one of the hardest jobs around. 
     I respect the Pediatric staff.
** please note, I understand the nurse was following orders for the safety of the child (I should hope!!!) and that is my emotional reaction... I don't actually intend to hurt anyone. 

1 comment:

  1. This made me cry. I used to work as a security guard in a hospital and I really hated doing the patrols threw the Pediatric ward. It just hurts more to see kids in pain like that. What have you be doing in a Pediatric ward? I feel like I haven't talked with you in ages.

    ReplyDelete